Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Little Hoots

My first official day off was Friday.  I sent Louis to work with Joe one last time because I had an order for cake pops & took it knowing I'd be quitting right around this time.


The background on the cake pops starts with my friend Molly O.  Molly is a costumer in LA but will be moving to KC for a few months between filming.  Her sisters make super cute cake pop displays in Chicago (check them out at Sisterly Sweets on Facebook).  Well, O is worried about what she will do in KC while her bf is at work so she asked if I'd like to do cake pops with her.  I got super excited and started drummin' up business for us only to realize it was A LOT of work combined with my full-time job and full-time baby.

The order I had on Friday was for my friend Katie's daughter's first birthday party.   She LOVES owls and we were Chi O's at KSU so the owl trend has been fun for us.  (Chi O animal is the owl.)  I posted the pics on Facebook and have gotten a few requests on a "how to".  I thought it would be easier to put here and give credit to the people I stole the idea's from.

I always look for inspiration on Pinterest first.  There are tons of resources out there for cake pops.  I think Bakerella is the best but I didn't use her for this project.  This is the tutorial I liked for the Owl Cake Pops.  I didn't do the wings because I liked them better without and each step just adds more time to the project.

I already had a 5" pan from Louis' monster birthday cake below so I knew I could use it for an owl cake.  I just had to find one I liked that I thought I could re-create.  I pinned several but found this cute Owl Cake.  I used her idea for Starburst candy as the heart and beak as I had a few from Easter.  I made the beak but I have to admit Joe carved the heart and feet for me.  I only had a pink Starburst for the heart which blended in so I used a red heart sprinkle and glued it on with icing.  I baked two 5" cakes and cut the dome off one to stack the cake a little higher.  I also used Wilton magenta food coloring for my vanilla frosting.  One tip would be not to ice the area of the wings with the pink.  I had to scrape it off to get the chocolate to stick for the wings.
  

















It turned out to be pretty easy and I loved the outcome.  I think Katie did too!  Happy baking!  My friend and I are doing more cake pops and parties.  Check us out here!  http://kcpopparty.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment