Monday, September 23, 2013

Big Boy Room

Here is Louis' room finally finished.  "Finished" in our house means at least one thing isn't totally done.  In this case, it's the old wing back chair.  I want to paint the legs and make a new slip cover for it but that is pretty ambitious for me.  I'll keep putting it off for now.  

I'm also really bad at picking out paint when I'm pregnant.  It happened in my bedroom when I was pregnant with Louis (will post another day).  I didn't learn my lesson and picked his gray furniture paint while I was pregnant with Nola.  It should be about three shades darker than it is.  Joe painted it with his paint sprayer so with the cost of the paint and the time it took, whining will get me no where.  He is not changing it.  


I've always painted my ceilings and if you look closely you can see I painted it navy.  We painted the walls white because I liked it so much in the nursery.  I like it in person but not as much in these pics.  I'm blaming the lack of contrast with the furniture!  


Here is the other side of the room.  I'm thinking of adding pictures or a hot air balloon to this side of the room but will wait until something really catches my eye.  The globe was Joe's and his grandpa made the wooden stand for it.  Louis loves getting it down to see where we have traveled.  We also look at it or the map on his wall when Joe is on a trip.  Louis has a pretty good memory and can usually point out places we have been.  The piggy bank was my mom's and she gave it to Louis when he was born.  


I'm not into super themed rooms and prefer it to be more subtle.  I went with an airplane/travel theme.  I found the planes at Hobby Lobby and the prints below are from Etsy.  We found the barn wood frames at Hobby Lobby as well.  I also picked plain bedding so I can change the theme as he grows.  The duvet cover and sham are from Pottery Barn.  The rug is from Overstock.com.  


My mom had the map mounted on foam board for me but it kept falling off the wall.  Joe ended up making the barn wood frame to solve that issue.  He also made the barn wood shelves and bench. The orange bins are from Land of Nod.


We were able to do the room on a pretty tight budget since we had all of the furniture and just had to paint it.  My mom had the bed and chair but everything else was Joe's as a kid excluding the bench he made.  I like all of the things from the past.  It makes it feel special in a way.



No comments:

Post a Comment