Monday, June 17, 2013

Weekly Review

I don't know about this weekly update I decided to do.  I'm not sure our life is exciting enough to do a weekly play-by-play.  Plus I started writing this last night and didn't get it posted.  Hopefully tonight is the night.  Don't be surprised if this is the only full week I write about.  

I'm kind of getting the hang of two kids.  At least Nola is starting to have a more regular schedule. This gives me time to try doing productive things with Louis during the week.  We spent some time learning how to write letters.  He will do it for a little while before he gets crazy and starts scribbling all over the page.  He loves scribbling so much he starts shaking the same way he does when he gets candy. 




We also started catching lightning bugs this week!  I love late summer nights when they start lighting up.  That is definitely a big memory from when I was a kid and it's fun to do with Louis.  But they will not light up when they are in his bug catcher so we end up giving them their freedom.


The neighbors behind us have a mulberry tree and Louis has been begging to eat the berries that fall into the garden.  I know these are safe because the same time last year he stuffed them in his face before I could stop him.  I finally said ok but made him gather a bowl full to be washed inside first.  He went to town picking them up off the ground while I gathered some greens for a salad.  "I need this one and this one and this one..."


After he ate his berries, he helped me finish the salad.  It got a little smashed with his tossing technique.


Tuesday we met Hayley and Aiden at the zoo.  It has been super hot and steamy this week but was overcast that morning so the weather felt nice.  I originally told Hayley we could meet at 8am then changed it to 9 and got there by 9:45.  I don't think I'll ever be an on-time person.  Luckily we made it in time for the sea lion show.  Here are the boys waiting for the show to start.



Nola was really excited too.


Sometimes riding the Tram is more fun for the boys than watching the animals.


I wonder if we can get them to recreate this shot when they are 18...


We thought we had an awesome view of the lions.


But lucked out when we sat outside for lunch and got to watch the lions get fed at the same time!


Our little monkeys loved the gorillas!


This is what we go through with a 2 and 3 year old to get the picture we want.


Hayley is good at getting real smiles from the boys.


Thursday my old college roommate, Mindy, stopped by when she was in town.  She is married to an Australian and lives in Sidney now.  Louis and I looked at Australia on his globe and I reminded him about Nemo going to Sidney before they came over.  He loved Mindy's husband John and his rendition of Bruce the Shark from Finding Nemo.  I think he was a little confused at first but he told Joe all about Mindy and John being from Australia after they left.  I LOVED seeing Mindy and am now begging Joe to take us all to Australia while she is living there.  This is when I miss that paycheck!!


Since it's been so hot and steamy, we got Louis' baby pool out.  This thing was great over the last two summers but I think it's time to get a bigger one.  It took him about two minutes to splash all the water out.  He seemed to have a great time though!



Little Nola turned 3 months on Friday.  She gets more interactive each day and is starting to really focus on things like the little mouse on her chair.  She does have a serious face like Louis did but Joe can really get her laughing.  There is nothing like a little baby laugh to make me happy.  She is strong and rolls all over the place.




Of course Louis can't let her get all the attention.



On Saturday we went to a benefit carnival for Hands to Hearts, a charity for needy kids.  I had been volunteering for them around Christmas and want to get involved again soon.  The carnival was super hot but fun for small kids.  Hayley and Aiden met here as well.  Aiden has always been a good climber and is pretty fearless so I was glad he was there to show Louis the ropes.  Louis is more cautious on his own.


It took Louis a few times to pick his feet up and get some speed on the slides.



Nola slept most of the time in our new stroller we found on Craigslist.  We got it all cleaned up but I actually put her in it when it was filthy.  This is another thing I NEVER would have done with Louis.  I almost had panic attacks when his stuff got dirty.



One of the best parts of the carnival was the chance for Louis to see his old babysitter, Allison.  He still talks about her even though it has been over a year since he has seen her.


He also was excited to see Annabelle who went to daycare with him.  She took charge right away and played with Louis for a while.



Aiden shows off his prizes from the duck pond.


It's not a carnival without cotton candy!




We ended with face painting.  Aiden got a train and Louis became a lion.  These boys were sweaty so I'm not sure how the paint stuck.






We had lunch at an El Salvadorian restaurant we like in downtown Overland Park.  Louis pretended to be in the jungle.


Saturday night my mom babysat so we could celebrate our 8 year anniversary.  I can't believe it has been 8 years!  I have to say it's been a good time so far.  We went out for a beer before dinner and my friends came to meet us.  These girls recently moved back from California and live about 10 minutes from my house.  I am SO HAPPY they are back in town!  I didn't get a pic of Kim's husband who was also there.



We went to dinner at Anthony's downtown.  We had never been before and the food was really good.  It's an old school Italian restaurant but the crowd was interesting to say the least.  Joe had lasagna and I had seafood puttanesca.


Sunday morning was Father's Day and I kind of dropped the ball on it this year.  I had Joe shop for his own gift although I told him what I wanted to get him.  And I forgot to pick up a card or have Louis make anything.  Bad wife.  I did tell him we could do whatever he wanted for the day and that I'd take all the kid duty.

After mass, we went to brunch at my mom's.  Louis loves making juice over there.


Nola helped daddy work.


We had a nice meal on outside.


Louis' favorite was the shortcake dessert.  Big surprise.


We checked out my mom's new plantings.



That night we came home and Joe bottled his first batch of wine.  He made a Chianti from a kit which came out to about 30 bottles.  I'm working on a glass right now.  It's not that bad for his first batch but I think he should tweak the next a little.


That's the excitement for now.  We are going on some trips soon so that might be my next update.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment