Sunday, June 9, 2013

Movie In The Park

I think I'm going to try to do weekly updates on my blog.  I appreciate my little following of readers (family and friends) but I mostly do this for myself.  It's a great way to keep a little diary of what we are up to and looking back always helps me remember forgotten moments.  The memory part of my brain was sucked out when I became a mom.  Since I'm always running late, this update is about the first weekend of June.  We just got back from a wedding in Nebraska but I'll have to write that post a little later this week.

We are really enjoying the nice spring weather.  Louis has been dying to use his rain gear and had the opportunity one morning.  He was only able to take a quick stroll because the lightning moved in.



When it's dry, Louis is a big help with his new lawn mower.  That mulch was getting really high.


Saturday, June 1, our neighborhood hosted a movie in the park and had the Zoo Mobile stop by.  I have to say the mobile was a little disappointing.  They brought a snake, millipede, frog and armadillo.  Louis was expecting a giraffe which I knew wasn't happening but I was hoping for a furry animal of some sort.  The only fur was the display of pelts the kids could feel.

     
Here is the snake.


Louis was being a little shy.


And then showing off his belly waiting in line for the armadillo.


This is the armadillo which was super cute.


He was proud of himself for touching it.


We moved to the park.  I thought it was supposed to be a picnic but apparently read the memo wrong.  We looked like we were camping out for the long haul.


I experienced my first moment of heart-break for Louis.  He was being a little rowdy around Nola so Joe told him to chase some boys that were running by.  These boys were around 4-5 years old and Louis immediately ran after them.


They weren't mean to him but they were NOT playing with Louis at all.  Louis ran as fast as he could to keep up and was shrieking with delight.


It turned out they were in a game of hide-and-seek with their dad.  Louis gave away all of their hiding places on accident.  


He tried to climb in the bamboo with them but just couldn't quite hide as well as the big boys.  Look at the excitement on his face!


He didn't know he wasn't included.  Oh!  It killed me!  I seriously almost cried and I hung back as far as I could.  Of course, Joe was laughing at Louis and then at me the whole time.  He also kept little Nola laughing.


Finally, it was time for the movie.  They showed old Tom and Jerry cartoons early on for the little kids.  We left for the feature film since it started at bedtime.  You can see in these pictures that our park is hidden between a block of houses.  We access it through a driveway so it's private and one of the things I like about our neighborhood.


I enjoyed Tom and Jerry more now than I had as a kid.  It was Louis' first time to see it and he liked it too.


More people showed up for the late (8:30) feature film.


We made it home and played with the globe a little before bed.  It was a nice family night.



Sunday night we had our friends Kim and Bill over for dinner to talk baby gear as they are expecting their first in the fall.  It was a nice night to be outside & in the company of great friends.  I've given up my hopes of hosting a magazine-like backyard dinner.  This is what it looks like instead.  If you could see the vision in my head, you'd understand.  There should at least be fresh flowers or candles on the table.  Oh, well.


Nola's 11th week marked another milestone.  This time she rolled from back to tummy!  I can't believe how early she is on this.  I thought Louis was super strong and she beat him by a month.  When she is in the mood she will roll both ways now.  A video would be better but I only have pictures as proof.



I still am super worried about her getting a flat head so I am keeping up with lots of tummy time and got the bumpo out.  I always need something to obsess and worry over.  Here are some pics of morning work-out and play-time.



Of course, Louis lets me know he can sit in the bumpo too.


I'm doing a garden again this year but have scaled way back on the variety of veggies.  Last year I got in over my head and my yield wasn't that great.  Maybe this year will be better.  I do think having Louis help in the garden makes him want to eat healthy foods.  If it comes from the garden, he eats it.  He loves helping gather stuff for dinner.


We had another asparagus which he was excited about.  It was about the fourth one we were able to pick this year.  They should be established next year and I'm hoping we can get enough for at least one dinner.  They take up too much room to give me nothing!


And here I am breaking my rules and giving Louis a Popsicle.  After reading the ingredients I will be making some myself for the rest of the summer.  I'll check back in if I really accomplish it.


Such a big boy taking the compost out by himself!  Did I mention he is in a super hero phase right now?


So that's the update for now.  Hopefully I can catch up and do this on a weekly basis.  Or maybe bi-monthly???  We shall see.  Have a great week!  I can't resist posting two more adorable pics of my loves.  




No comments:

Post a Comment